Architect and designer Damienne Joly has created some of the most inspiring spaces in the world - from Stockholm, to London, Australia and Hong Kong.
A true design-natural, her company, Studio Basalte, is a reflection of an impressive career that started in her home country of France, where she studied architecture and later, landscape architecture and historical designs. This merged a love of nature with her desire for structure. She also studied and worked in the US.
“For as long as I can remember,” Damienne explains, “I have always made ‘things’. I remember spending hours making small models and imagining stories for them. “I loved to use my Dad’s workshop tools. As an engineer, he always encouraged me to think about how objects were assembled and constructed.”
Here, Damienne offers us an insight into her finely honed creative approach when it comes to bringing life into a rental property:
- Soft furnishings, such as rugs, always add a special touch, especially when the floor finish is not the best and cannot be changed. Curtains made of colour linen or light fabrics with subtle patterns can help to distract from too thick and clunky window frames.
- A decorative pendant light fixture for the dining table is also a key part of setting the mood and atmosphere.
- Having one furniture piece that is a bit of a statement can go a long way. I particularly like a special chair or armchair.
- Framed mirrors at chosen locations can help bring light and play with views and reflections.
- Finally, art work pieces and flowers, always!
- Although it is not a physical item, painting selected walls always enhances the space, bringing distinctive movement and character to the space, whether soft subtle tones or a dash of colour.
On a final note, Damienne adds that - as an architect and interior designer - every project always starts with the client.